Clean your addresses with SmartyStreets in LGL
In this article:
- Go to the Integration Settings page
- Search for constituents with or without verified addresses
- Start verifying your addresses during data entry
- What if you get ambiguous results?
- What if you get no results?
Ever wish you could check a box to standardize all your addresses to correct state abbreviations, add ZIP+4, or put those missing leading zeros back? Maybe you wish you could type in the street and ZIP Code information and get a full address nicely populated (not to mention CASS certified) within LGL? Now you can do either or both (powered by SmartyStreets).
Note: Address Verification does not handle non-U.S. addresses.
This article walks you through the steps required to turn on Address Verification in your LGL account.
Go to the Integration Settings page
On this page, click on the Address Verification option, and then:
- Click the Activate Address Verification button.
- Enable automatic updates to your addresses if desired. With this option enabled, LGL will work its way through all your existing data and update/clean/verify any unambiguous and verifiable addresses.
- Note: Address Verification will only verify the "preferred" address for a constituent. Also, this process could take a while because it happens gradually rather than all at once.
Search for constituents with or without verified addresses
If you want to do a search to see only the constituents who have addresses that have been verified already, you can add the search term "Address is verified?" and set the operator to "Yes" as shown below:
If you want to search for constituents whose addresses have not been verified, you can change "Yes" to "No".
Start verifying your addresses during data entry
You can get access to the verification tools whenever you add or edit a constituent mailing address:
You can type in the full address with information in each field, and then click the Verify button to check its accuracy/validity.
Alternatively, you can just type all the information into the "Street". Address Verification (powered by SmartyStreets) really is smart and does a great job parsing that into a real address and transforming something like this:
If you don't like the results, you can click Undo and we'll put everything back the way it was.
What if you get ambiguous results?
Sometimes it's not possible to identify the exact address, and more than one address is returned. In these cases, you can pick the right one or keep what you have.
What if you get no results?
If you are dealing with a U.S. address and get no results, you are probably looking at an invalid/non-deliverable address. You can still keep it and save it to LGL without a problem if you like or if you know that it is valid.