Best practices: Managing your team member profiles
In this article:
- Best practices for adding and managing your team members (or anyone else who needs access to your account)
- Frequently asked questions
- Can LGL Support change a team member’s name or email address for me?
- Can I use a generic email address, such as firstname.lastname@example.org, for a team member now and pass it to a different team member later?
- A new staff person is taking over a generic email address, which someone else on our team used previously. When I add the new staff person, it automatically identifies her as the past employee. Can you help?
- I have two team members with one email address and username. What should I do?
- Can I completely delete a team member’s history so they can set up a new team member with the same email address?
Best practices for adding and managing your team members (or anyone else who needs to access your account)
Adding new team members to your account
When you need to add new team members to your account, the best way to do this is for one of the active Administrators to follow the instructions in How do I add additional team members or remove a team member? and to add the new team member with a unique email address associated with that person.
Note: Once you have added a new team member, it is always possible for an Administrator in your account to change the permissions level, or role, for that team member.
Giving someone temporary access to your account
In cases where you want to give someone temporary access to your account, the best practice is to add the person as a new team member.
Why do we recommended doing this?
- One of the most important steps you can take in terms of maintaining the security of your Little Green Light system is to set each person who needs to access the system up with their own personal login
- LGL never charges you to add new users and doesn't charge when multiple users are logged in at once. If someone is using LGL temporarily, this is even more important because you can add them and then make them inactive whenever you choose
- Since all help requests should start from inside your account on your Help page, the credentials used are those of the person logged in. Our email reply to that person goes to the email they used to log in
- All changes made (who updated the gift, who imported the file, who added the constituent) are tied to the user's credentials
Using the same email address for multiple users
There are many reasons not to do this, listed in the bulleted list just above. However, if you feel strongly that this is the right option for your organization the instructions for changing the name of the team member using the email address are included at the end of the answer to the question, “Can I use a generic email address, such as email@example.com, for a team member now and pass it to a different team member later?"
Frequently asked questions
Please read through the below frequently asked questions and answers, as well as how-to information on adding and removing team members, for answers to the frequently asked questions in the next section of this article.
Q. Can LGL Support change a team member’s name or email address for me?
A. Any team member with login credentials can make this change easily. Please ask the team member to log in, click the My profile link, and make whatever changes are needed.
Q. Can I use a generic email address, such as firstname.lastname@example.org, for a team member now and pass it to a different team member later?
A. We highly recommend against using generic role-specific emails. Doing so often leads to minor problems and can cause more serious issues too. Instead, please set up each team member with their own email address. There is no limit to the number of team members you can add to your account and no cost for adding them.
Using a unique, valid email address for each team member is a more secure practice as well because there is no way for a team member who formerly used the email address to log into your account. It also prevents the inconvenience of having to update, inactivate, or reactivate the team member with whom the generic email address was formerly associated.
If you truly want to use the same generic email address for more than one user, it is possible to do so by making sure the previous user is active, logging in using that team member’s email address and password (so you can reset the password), and then after login going to the My Profile page and updating the name information.
Q. A new staff person is taking over a generic email address, which someone else on our team used previously. When I add the new staff person, it automatically identifies her as the past employee. Can you help?
A. The solution in this case is to have the new user log in and then go to the My profile page to update the name of the user.
Q. I have two team members with one email address and username. What should I do?
A. In all cases with more than one user having the same email address, we recommend instructing the user to log in to Little Green Light and change his/her name on the My profile page.
If more than one staff member ends up with the email address, our recommendation is that your new hire navigate to your LGL login screen and enter that as their username. After entering the username, the person can click the “Forgot Password” option on the login screen and a password reset will be sent to the email address in the user profile.
Once that user logs in, they can click My Profile in the upper right corner of the screen and update the name information as needed.
Q. Can I completely delete a team member’s history so a new team member can be set up with the same email address?
A. It is much better not to delete a team member when they leave your organization because you will lose the history of changes that user made. For more information, please read this article.