Enable and manage 2-step verification
In this article:
- What is 2-step verification?
- How does it work?
- Enabling 2-step verification
- How does 2-step verification work if I have more than one LGL account?
Note: This feature is in beta. If you would like for it to be turned on in your account, please contact LGL Support via the Contact Us form on your account's Help page to request access.
What is 2-step verification?
Also known as 2-factor authentication, 2-step verification is a security feature that reduces the ability for fraudsters to log into your Little Green Light account even if they know one of your passwords. How? When you log in, you’ll be asked not just for your password but also for a verification code, which LGL emails to the email address associated with your account.
How does it work?
When 2-step verification is turned on for your account, it is turned on for all users in your account. Each user then gets to decide if they want to use it by checking the box in the prompt that comes up to do the verification.
What if I don’t want to use it?
It is possible to disable 2-step verification on a computer that you use frequently. To disable it, you can check a box that will cause the process to remember your computer. Note: This will not disable the 2-step verification on a computer or device that you have not yet disabled it on.
Enabling 2-step verification
Follow these steps to enable 2-step verification for your LGL account.
- Check the “Require 2-step verification” box. (As of 11/2/2017, this option displays if a setting has been enabled by Little Green Light. We plan to roll this out for all accounts in early December.)
- With the setting now activated, the first step of the login is the same as it was previously.
- Here’s a copy of the email you’ll receive that includes the verification code: Subject: Little Green Light verification code
But instead of being logged in after completing that first step, you’ll see a request for a verification code, which has been emailed to the email address saved in your LGL account’s user profile.
Note: The user interface checkbox description for “Don’t ask for codes again on this computer” will soon be updated to read: “Don’t ask for codes again on this computer (unless I clear my cookies or use a different browser).”
To use your Little Green Light account, please enter the following code on the sign in page:
This code is valid for X time.
You’re being asked to enter this code because your Little Green Light account is set for 2-Step Verification.
Thanks for using Little Green Light!
What if I have multiple accounts? How does the verification code work then?
Once you are verified on login, the verification you receive in the email works for all accounts that you can log into.
Why am I being asked for a verification code even though I've checked the box to not ask me again?
If you believe you shouldn’t be seeing the verification code prompt but you are still seeing it, there are a few reasons why this may be happening.
- Keep in mind that the prompt doesn't work across browsers, so if you've checked the box in one browser and are now using a different browser, you may see the prompt again. This can also happen if you are using your browser in incognito or private mode, which is available in some web browsers.
- If you are sure you should not be receiving the prompt and the first item (just above) does not apply to you, the next step is to confirm that you've checked the box asking not to see the prompt again.
- If you have any of the following browser settings enabled, you will need to turn off the setting to discontinue receiving the verification code question:
- "Keep local data only until you close the browser" - Chrome
- “Keep until: I close Firefox” - Firefox