Recording and managing tribute gifts
In this article:
- What are tribute gifts and how do they work?
- Adding tributes during gift entry
- Creating a named tribute
- Acknowledging tribute gifts
- Sending notifications
- Searching and filtering
Note: If you began using Little Green Light before January 2019 and the Tributes link is not available in your Fundraising menu, you will first need to enable Tributes in your account. You can learn more about how to use it here.
What are tribute gifts and how do they work?
A tribute is a gift made in honor or in memory of someone or something. If the honoree is living, the tribute is honorary. Such a gift may be be motivated by an important moment, like an anniversary, birthday, or graduation. If the person or animal for whom the tribute is being made is deceased, it is a memorial tribute.
Like any gift, a tribute gift will be given by a particular constituent (the donor). You can also record:
- The name of the honoree or deceased (the one in whose name the gift is being given)
- A dedication note describing why the tribute is being made
- Next of kin, family members, or anyone else you want to notify that the tribute was given
The Little Green Light Tributes feature offers a way for you to:
- Record your gifts received in honor or memory of a person or a pet (with or without creating a constituent record for the donor)
- Easily identify tribute and memorial gifts in queries and reports
- Acknowledge the donor who made the gift (if your donor is a constituent in your LGL account)
- Efficiently notify the honoree, family members, or next of kin about the gift/s, if desired
You can assign a tribute to a gift in much the same way you attach an acknowledgment template to a gift. The tribute information is entered while you are creating or updating a gift.
Here is an example of what a tribute looks like once it has been added to a gift:
Adding tributes during gift entry
Note: Before you can use the Tributes feature, it first needs to be enabled in your account.
These instructions show you how to create a simple tribute with or without notifications to the next of kin or others by adding tribute information during gift entry.
Note: If you want to create a tribute for which you expect to receive multiple gifts and generate notifications automatically, use a named tribute (read the “Creating a named tribute” section later in this article).
Add an honorary gift without notifications
To add an honorary gift without notifications for which you don’t want to track the honoree as a constituent, add the honorary information as you are entering the gift. Here’s an example of what the gift entry page will look like:
To add an honorary gift for someone who is a constituent, follow the instructions above but instead of typing the constituent name click the Set constituent button and search for the constituent. When the constituent pops up in the search, click the Select button next to their name.
Add a memorial gift without notifications
To add a memorial gift without notifications, add the memorial information as you are entering the gift. Here’s an example of what the gift entry page will look like:
To add a memorial gift for someone who is a constituent, follow the instructions above but instead of typing the constituent name click the Set constituent button and search for the constituent. When the constituent pops up in the search, click the Select button next to their name.
Add an honorary gift with notifications
To add an honorary gift for a donation for which you don’t want to track the honoree as a constituent, enter your gift and add the honorary information as part of the gift. In the "Person to notify" section, select a constituent or manually enter the recipient (see the “Sending notifications” section below for more details).
Here’s an example of what the gift entry page will look like:
To add an honorary gift for someone who is a constituent, follow the instructions above and remember to use the Set constituent button to add the constituent.
Add a memorial gift with notifications
To add a memorial gift with notifications where the tributee is someone you are tracking in your database, add the memorial information as you are entering the gift. In the "Person to notify" section, select a constituent or manually enter the recipient (see the “Sending notifications” section below for more details).
Here’s an example of what the gift entry page will look like:
Remember to add the constituent to the tribute by using the Set constituent button. Read about adding notifications.
Creating a named tribute
To record a gift given in honor or in memory of a person where you expect to receive numerous gifts and want to create notification letters or emails to next of kin or others who want to be notified, the best option is to create a named tribute that contains a default notification template.
Here are the steps to create a named tribute:
- Go to Fundraising > Tributes, and click the Add tribute button:
2. Select the type of tribute (you can choose either In Honor of or In Memory of), and add the name of the tributee (or set that person as a constituent if they exist in your database):
3. Select the default template the tribute will use (see “Sending notifications” below for instructions on creating a notification template), and add any family members or others who will be notified (you can click the Set constituent button and search on their name if they already exist as a constituent). Then click Save:
Now you can attach this tribute to any gift you receive in memory of Abraham Lincoln, and a notification letter will be automatically generated in the Notifications tab on the Fundraising > Tributes page.
Acknowledging tribute gifts
You can acknowledge the donor of a tribute gift in the same way you would acknowledge a donor who gives any gift you would thank them for.
Please note that there are special merge fields available for tribute gifts, such as [[gifts.ack.tribute.name]], [[gifts.ack.tribute.dedication]], and [[gifts.ack.tribute.phrase]]
Tribute notifications are for the people who should be notified that the gift was made, such as spouse/partner or family members. These notifications are not intended as acknowledgments for the donor who made the gift.
For any tribute you create, you have the option to use notifications and notification templates within it. Notifications allow you to send a letter or email notification to the tributee’s next of kin or others, letting them know you received the gift. Notification templates give you more control over the formatting for the notifications you send.
Note: Keep in mind that if you choose not to use notification templates with your tribute, you will need to re-create the letter or email content each time you add a new tribute in order to be able to send out notifications.
Tribute notification templates
You can create a new tribute notification template by navigating to Fundraising > Tributes > Tribute Notification Templates and selecting either the Add MS Word Template or Add LGL Template button, depending on which type you want to create:
Each tribute can have a type (Memorial or Honorary) that dictates which kind of tribute it is being used for: Memorial tributes are used to notify recipients of memorial tribute gifts, while honorary tributes are used to notify recipients of honorary tribute gifts.
Notification templates can use any of the following merge fields to bring data from your constituent records into your notification:
- recipient.addressee: The addressee name for the recipient
- recipient.salutation: The salutation for the recipient
- recipient.address_block: The address block (addressee + address) for the recipient (mainly used for envelopes)
- tribute.name: The name of the person or animal being honored/memorialized
- tribute.donor_count_phrase: A phrase describing how many donors are represented by the notification (“1 donor” or “5 donors”, for instance)
- donor_addresses: A table with the name, address, and email of each donor
A tribute notification is like an acknowledgment mailing; it is the actual item that you can print or email.
Generating a tribute notification
You can generate a tribute notification in two ways:
- Assign a notification template during gift entry (or when editing a gift). This causes a new notification using that template to be auto-queued. Just like with acknowledgments, gifts/recipients with the same tribute/template will queue up together in a batch that you can print or email as a group:
- For named tributes, it’s possible to generate a notification to all recipients (for all gifts) on demand, at any time, from the tribute itself.
As in the case of mailings, tribute notifications can be updated from Draft to Sent (for printed notifications) or queued for email delivery and ultimately sent (for email notifications).
Searching and filtering
Once you have created your tribute, you’ll also be able to search for and filter by it within the Fundraising tab, as shown below.
Searching by tribute (Advanced Search)
Filtering by tribute
To report on any tribute/s in your account, search in the Fundraising tab on “Tributes”. Then select the tribute/s you want to report on, as shown here.
The search results will display gifts that have been recorded as tributes. From here, you can click the Export results button to create your custom tribute report, in the same way that you would generate a gift report from the Fundraising tab.