Using the Flex Importer
In this article:
- Importing – The big picture
- Detailed instructions on using the Flex Importer
This article provides a high-level overview of the import process in LGL. Click into the help topics listed at the end of the article to read detailed instructions on any part of the process.
Importing – the big picture
Requirements for your import file
- Your data must be either in Excel or CSV format; CSV is preferred, but Excel also works (for files under 1MB in size)
- Give each of the column headers in your spreadsheet a unique name. This will help you map your data to the fields in Little Green Light.
- The first row of information in the spreadsheet should contain the name of each field to be uploaded in its own column. See below for an example.
3 steps for migrating data
Migrating data into LGL involves these steps:
- Prepare your data for import
- Upload your file(s) and map your columns to the correct LGL fields
- Review and commit the data to your LGL account
Prepare your data for import
This is usually the most time-consuming step. If your data is in a database already, you'll need to export it so you can work with it in Excel or another spreadsheet program. Saving your file to .csv format (comma separated value) is best, though xls and xlsx files work too. It might help to see what a good import file should look like. You can download a sample Excel file from our article Compare your import file to a sample version.
Upload the import file and map to LGL
On the Home > Flex Importer page, click the “Import a file” button and select your import file from your computer. Click the “Upload your file and go to Step 2” button. See “Upload your import file” for details.
Set up your record matching and updating preferences for this import file. Then review the data mapping in your import file to the fields in LGL.A preview window will show in real time how records will look in LGL once imported. Toggle through some of the records to spot check. You can make updates to the mapping before moving to the next step if needed.
Review and commit the data to your LGL account
Once you’re satisfied with the mapping, click the blue “Save and go to Step 3” button in the bottom-right corner of the page. Your file will be prepared for import but not yet added to your LGL account. Once it is complete, you can accept or reject it, modify the mapping, or selectively reject just new or updated records. See the mapping articles in the list at the bottom of this article for detailed instructions.
NOTE: If you don't commit (or save) the import, it will appear as an alert on your Dashboard:
Previewing records and saving time with templates
To preview your records, review the Record Preview that is displayed to the right of your field mappings, as shown here:
To create a template from your import mappings that you can re-use for future imports, please follow these instructions.
Detailed instructions on using the Flex Importer
Click into any of these help articles for more detailed instructions on importing in general and for importing specific kinds of data.
- Data Dictionary
- Flex Importer FAQs
- Upload your import file
- Control duplicates on import
- Control how constituents are updated
- General field mapping
- Mapping constituent fields
- Mapping contact info: Phone numbers
- Mapping contact info: Email addresses
- Mapping contact info: Websites
- Mapping constituent category fields
- Mapping gift fields
- Uploading related gifts
- Mapping pledges
- Mapping goals
- Mapping events
- What event registration options are compatible with LGL?
- Mapping appeals
- Mapping membership fields
- Uploading relationships with the Flex Importer
- Mapping constituent relationship fields
- Mapping education fields
- Mapping class-year fields
- Mapping contact report fields
- Mapping volunteer data
- Mapping notes and tasks
- Videos about Importing data